How To Wear Sunscreen Like A Beauty Editor PLUS Win!
Most of us don’t apply our sunscreen correctly but with a few little tweaks we can literally save our skin! For starters, the first mistake most of us make is applying about half the amount of product we actually need to get the SPF benefits listed on the bottle. Wearing sunscreen is one of the best things you can do for your skin. A great sunscreen with potent UVA and UVB protection will stop you burning, it’ll also help prevent wrinkles and pigmentation and will also reduce your risk of skin cancer.
So here are the rules of good sun protection—they’re easier than you think.
- The right amount looks ridiculous You may be surprised to know you’ll need around a teaspoon of sunscreen for your face, ears and neck to get the full SPF and that’s a lot! It’ll be thick and a tad tough to rub in at first. A good rule of thumb is to apply it in two layers and let the first layer absorb for a few seconds before applying the second. You’ll also need one teaspoon per limb and one for your front and back areas – that’s seven teaspoons for a total body application.
- Wet skin burns faster Be sure to towel dry yourself thoroughly after swimming because the sun’s rays actually penetrate wet skin faster than dry skin – crazy right? And applying a sunscreen to wet skin will also dilute the SPF so dry off first.
- Get naked Applying sunscreen before you even put on your togs is the best way to get an even application and full sun protection.
- Numbers matter When choosing a good sunscreen make sure you choose a broad spectrum sunscreen which offers UVA and UVB protection with a minimum of an SPF30 *
- Stop sand sticking Thankful there’s a solution to the pesky problem of sand sticking all over you at the beach. The new Banana Boat SunComfort range is the first-ever sunscreen specifically designed to allow sand to be easily brushed off. I don’t know how they do it but it works. So if you hate that horrible feeling of sand sticking to you at the beach then this product is a must-have.
Above: Even the best sunscreen won’t protect you well if you don’t apply it right. Don’t be stingy with your sunscreen.
- Watch the clock If you’re outside in the sun, you need to reapply at least every two hours. Set an alarm on your phone to remind you to reapply and if you’ve been swimming or sweating you’ll need to layer up more often.
- Don’t rely on sunscreen alone It’s just one part of the sun-protection puzzle. Give your sunscreen a helping hand by wearing a hat, covering up in lightweight clothing and donning a pair of quality UV protection sunglasses (see they’re not just for making a style statement). See out a shady spot and tray to avoid the sun during the hottest part of the day too.
- You still burn on a cloudy day Even if the sun is nowhere to be seen, 80 per cent of its UV rays still hit your skin – yes truly! So applying sunscreen should be a daily essential just like brushing your teeth.
- Give it time You’ve probably heard this one before but sunscreens need to be applied at least 20 minutes before you go outside to give them enough time to fully absorb so they can shield your skin from the sun (physical blockers, like zinc oxide, need less time). Just don’t wait until you’re ankle deep in sand to bust out the sunscreen.
- But I don’t burn Okay you may not be able to physically see the sun’s damage on your skin straight away but in time you most definitely will – so be sure to stay sun smart even if you have olive skin.
Above: Get sun smart this summer and start changing New Zealand’s alarmingly high rates of skin cancer.
WIN! WIN! WIN!
To celebrate the release of the new Banana Boat SunComfort Sunscreen we’re giving away a $50 Banana Boat prize pack to one lucky Insider.
To enter to win simply tell us in the comments below why you’d like to try this new sunscreen then click HERE to subscribe to our free Insider updates. By the way you can unsubscribe at any time if you change your mind – it just makes it easy for us to contact you if you win. If you’re already a subscriber then great – you only need to comment below.
Thanks to everyone who took the time to enter to win. We’re thrilled to announce our super lucky winner is:
Congrats! Please email your contact deets to [email protected] so we can get your prize on its way out to you.
Above: The new Banana Boat SunComfort Sunscreen will keep you covered all summer long.
* New Zealand Cancer Council recommendation.
#BananaBoat #SunComfort #NoSandMoreFun